The BCFSC SIFp (Significant Incident and Failure potential) Campaign was created to align terminology and reporting for SIFp events so companies can:
- Increase or implement SIFp reporting within their sites, and
- Analyze trends from SIFp reporting to direct where safety resources and attention should be focused
What is SIFp?
Significant Incident Failure Potential (SIFp) incidents are near-miss events with a high risk of Serious Injury or Fatality potential. Many near miss incidents associated with high-risk activity have the potential for Serious Injuries and Fatalities. Some of these near misses are not reported because no one was injured. Reporting these incidents allows the operation to fully investigate the causes and develop controls to avoid these incidents in the future.
The purpose of the SIFp is to draw attention to significant events that may be overlooked and excluded by the Medical Incident Rate (MIR) or Recordable Rate benchmarking statistics traditionally used to measure safety performance. Declaring an event an “SIFp” is intended to red flag that event with the purpose of prompting companies to learn what categorical higher risk persists at each worksite, and focus attention to it. This is done by ensuring that not only a comprehensive investigation is completed along with its associated preventative actions, but that each of those SIFp events are pooled and collectively analyzed by the industry for trends and fundamental safety program change opportunities.
Companies are encouraged to share and promote SIFp resources within their worksites to promote the implementation of SIFp reporting, investigating and sharing lessons learned.
- SIFp October 20th, 2020 Webinar - Troy Withey shares West Fraser 's experience with the implementation and benefits of reporting SIFp Events.
- SIFp, December 16, 2020 Webinar - Kristen Stinson and Marla Nicol share how Conifex implemented SIFp principles into their safety programs.
SIFp Resources - Access SIFp resources to share with workers and promote the implementation of SIFp reporting. Resources include:
- SIFp Report Events Poster
- SIFp Supervisor Crew Talk Sheet
- SIFp Overview Crew Talk
- SIFp Specific Event Crew Talks
- Report SIFp Event Hard Hat Sticker