Fibre Pile Fatality
A tragic event recently occurred in north-central Alberta where wood fibre was being stored for use on oil & gas drilling sites. Smoke or steam was noticed coming from a fibre pile and a worker was sent to investigate. While they were on the pile, it collapsed, and the worker was engulfed and deceased.
When fibre is stored in piles; over time self-heating and combustion can occur. The smouldering can continue for months and can eat out gaps in the fibre that can collapse with any weight. As snow cover on the pile melts in spring, wind can also expose the smouldering and open flames can result.
WPAC Safety Alert – Fibre Pile Fatality