Learn basic safety and decision-making skills, as well as techniques for addressing hazards commonly associated with working on resource roads in British Columbia. Participants will receive a certificate of completion.
- Operate a radio and follow safe road procedures in accordance with industry best practices in BC
- Implement driver controls to reduce the risk of incidents related to resource road operations
- Perform emergency manoeuvres
- Safely operate vehicle recovery equipment
- Apply trailer towing fundamentals
- Connect and load trailer in compliance with load securement requirements
- Load and unload ATV/UTV on truck or trailer (optional)
- Pre-trip inspection
- Blind spots
- Emergency manoeuvres
- Vehicle dynamics
- Driving techniques for safe operation on resource roads
- Radio use and resource road procedures
- Driving strategies for deactivated roads (optional)
- Vehicle recovery
- Fundamentals of trailer towing
- Cargo securement
- ATV / UTV loading/unloading (optional)
- Driving strategies for deactivated resource roads (optional)
Participants must have completed the online Knowledge Unit Training and verified its completion prior to attending the 2-day field session.
- Participants will need to bring a valid driver's licence, copy of their current driver's abstract and vehicle insurance.
- Participants or companies need to provide their own vehicles and trailers, ideally those that will be used in the workplace.
- Participants spend the majority of the course outdoors and behind the wheel.
- Group size is limited to 6 participants per trainer. Additional trainers can be added for groups of a larger number.
- Lunch is not provided.