This course is about occupational health and safety for large employers working in the forest sector. Participants should be experienced and active professional safety consultants and/or auditors with experience in the forest industry in BC. Note that in order to perform SAFE Companies or COR eligible audits, a participant must have been without any conflict of interest for the last three years with the company that they will audit. External auditors are responsible for finding their own host company for the pro-bono student audit.
This course is available in English only. For webinars, group participation is required.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion for successfully completing the program: theory, workshop, competency conversation, student audit with shadow and successful audit submission.
Upon successful completion of their student audit, participants will be recognized as external auditors, subject to program maintenance requirements which include 7 hours of approved training and a minimum of two audits every 3 years. Auditors are required to comply with BCFSC policies.
Upon completing this course, you should be able to:
- Perform and document a BASE 4 external audit on an acceptable host company in a maintenance year
- Describe Documentation for Auditors
- Describe Regulations, Legislation and Codes related to Auditing
- Describe and Apply Communication for Auditors
- Describe Professional Attributes for Auditors
- Describe Workplace Attributes for Auditors
- Conduct a System Audit
- Contribute to a Quality Assurance Process in Assessment
- Qualify as a student auditor for COR and SAFE Companies programs
Duration & Delivery
Blended Learning: A combination of online learning, interactive webinars and other activities are required for this course.
- 21 hours of online learning, including homework that must be completed BEFORE attending the first webinar.
- It is recommended to complete the online learning as close as possible prior to attending the webinars and no earlier than 6 months prior to attending the webinars.
- Online training is interactive and participants will be able to speak with a Safety Advisor if help is required. Online learning is self-paced, flexible 24/7 access. This particular training is designed for viewing on a Windows laptop or desktop computer.
- 8 hours webinar instruction and group activities distributed over a 3 day period
- 1-2 hours competency conversation
- 3-10 field days for student audit, of which 1-2 days will be shadowed by BCFSC
- 3-5 writing days for student audit submission (time variable depending on company systems and auditor experience)
Dates & Locations
To be determined. Not currently accepting applications to enrol in this course.
Webinars begin promptly at the time indicated in your enrollment confirmation.
IMPORTANT: You must use a device (computer, tablet, smartphone) that has web cam and microphone capability, in order to participate in both the webinars and the competency conversation.
The combined online and webinar instruction and materials is $1,575 (includes 5% GST).
Individuals applying to become external auditors must have evidence to support that they are a safety professional with active forestry auditing background. No specific prerequisite education or training is required; however, it is recommended that those wishing to be external auditors have appropriate technical writing skills for generating the BASE 4 audit report. Post-secondary education, professional certification and/or a CRSP designation are beneficial.
When this training is scheduled, enrollments are typically processed within 3 days.