Safety Alert Type: Other
Location: Avalon Dryland Sort
Date of Incident / Close Call: 2008-07-11
Company Name: C.N. Danroth Contracting Ltd.
Details of Incident / Close Call:
- It had been a very hot day.
- A young Scaler had been feeling dizzy with an upset stomach.
- He had informed two of the other Scalers that he was feeling sick.
- He told them that he would try and tape one more row.
- Half way through the row of logs a near by bucker who was the sort FAA noticed he did not look good.
- The FAA immediately realized that the worker was suffering from heat illness and got him off the sort and attempted to cool him down.
- The FAA and Sort Supervisor took the Scaler to a Medical Clinic that was 15 minutes away; the worker was delirious.
- The patient was then transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital where he was treated for heat stroke and released later that day.
- Ensure all workers know how to recognize symptoms of heat illness in themselves and others and know what to do if it occurs.
- Ensure all workers know how to protect themselves from heat illness.
- Tailgate workers about the topic when the weather begins to get hot.
- Create bulletins to have available to workers to caution them about heat illness.
- Supervisors to ensure workers have adequate breaks, time out of the sun if needed and plenty of water.
Download the Close Call Alert