This course is about occupational health and safety for large employers working in the forest sector. Participants should be active in their company's business operations and have knowledge of their safety program, as they will become the company's internal auditor and conduct their company's audit. Note that in order to perform SAFE Companies or COR eligible audits, a participant must be a permanent employee of the company that they will audit.
This course is available in English only. For webinars, group participation is required.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion for successfully completing the program: theory, workshop, competency conversation, and successful student audit.
Upon successful submission of their student audit, participants will be recognized as internal auditors, subject to program maintenance requirements which include 7 hours of approved training and a minimum of 2 audits every 3 years. Auditors are required to comply with BCFSC policies.
Upon completing this course, you should be able to:
- Perform and document a BASE 4 internal maintenance audit for your own employer. The course topics include:
- Describe Documentation for Auditors
- Describe Regulations, Legislation and Codes related to Auditing
- Describe and Apply Communication for Auditors
- Describe Professional Attributes for Auditors
- Describe Workplace Attributes for Auditors
- Conduct a System Audit
- Qualify as a student auditor who can submit audits for COR and SAFE Companies programs
Duration & Delivery
Blended Learning: A combination of online learning, interactive webinars and other activities are required for this course.
- 14 hours of online learning including associated homework that must be completed BEFORE attending the first webinar.
- It is recommended to complete the online learning as close as possible prior to attending the webinars and no earlier than 6 months prior to attending the webinars.
- Online learning is self-paced, flexible 24/7 access. This particular training was designed for viewing on a Windows laptop or desktop computer.
- 7 hours webinar instruction and group activities distributed over a 3 day period (see below for session dates).
- 1-2 hours Competency Conversation
- 3-10 field days for student audit
- 3-5 writing days for student audit submission
Session Dates & Location
Applicants must be approved no later than two weeks prior to a workshop in order to allow sufficient time to complete the associated online material and homework.
For 2021 session dates please refer to the enrollment form.
- Workshop (webinar) - Upon acceptance, you will be provided with available options of 3 schedules to participate in your workshop. Each session consists of 2 participants plus the instructor(s). Schedules are assigned after approval into the program. Due to the very small session sizes, we are not able to guarantee any particular schedule for applicants.
- Competency Conversation 1-2 hours - Upon acceptance, you will be provided with available options of competency conversations.
IMPORTANT: You must use a device (computer, tablet, smartphone) that has web cam and microphone capability, in order to participate in both the webinars and the competency conversation.
Effective 2019-06-21 there is no challenge process.
Webinars begin promptly at the time stated on your schedule.
The combined online and webinar instruction and materials is $525 (includes 5% GST).
Prerequisites for Training
Individuals applying to become internal auditors must have evidence to support that they are a permanent employee of the employer being audited. No prerequisite education or training is required; however, it is recommended that those chosen to be internal auditors are familiar with the main operations and processes of their employer and have appropriate technical writing skills for generating the BASE 4 audit report.
Submit a completed enrollment form (and course fee if applicable).
Typically enrollments are processed within 3 days to allow for program review/confirmation of your request and enrollment into the appropriate course and session.