For large companies, utilizing the services of a Student Auditor is a great way to get ready for your BASE Audit. It is an opportunity to get some valuable feedback about your safety program, while at the same time assisting a student to complete one of the required steps in the process of becoming a Certified External Auditor. However, there are a few things you should know before you book one.
- Student Auditors have met the course pre-requisites and successfully completed the classroom portion of the training but have not yet passed the field skills assessment component of the training.
- Since the Council has not yet completed its assessment of the student auditor, the quality of the student auditor can not be guaranteed. If the student auditor is unsuccessful with the student audit, the report will not be approved. All audit reports will remain with the Council and not be sent to the client.
- Students do not receive compensation for their student audit beyond documented expenses incurred during the audit (i.e. travel, motel, & food). Expenses are usually the responsibility of the company being audited, and need to be agreed upon with the student auditor.
- The Council does not book students audits, but rather advises student auditors of interested companies and vise versa. The interested company and the student auditor coordinate and agree on the audit arrangements.
- One last thing, student audits, are not eligible for SAFE Company Certification or WorkSafeBC Certificate of Recognition rebates.
If you are interested in getting involved, please contact:
Nanaimo Telephone: 250-741-1060 (1-877-741-1060)
Vancouver Telephone: 604-632-0211 (1-888-632-0211)