The operator of a dangle head processor was operating at the beginning of a night shift when he noticed the machine was beginning to overheat.
After allowing the machine to idle for a few minutes, he turned off the engine and – wanting to check the level of coolant in the radiator – loosened the radiator cap and then left it to bleed off pressure for a few minutes.
Thinking that all the pressure in the system had dissipated, he reached in with a gloved hand to finish removing the cap. Unfortunately there was pressure remaining in the radiator, causing hot radiator fluid to spray on his arms and face, and into his glove.
The equipment operator was taken to hospital by a co-worker for examination and released after having burn treatment medication applied to the affected areas.
For more information: Lo-Bar Log Transport Ltd. 250-563-8640
|Equipment operator burned by radiator fluid.pdf|