2008-11-30 Respiratory Distress related to Mold Inhalation

Safety Alert Type: 
Workers
Location: 
Skeetchestn Indian Band
Date of Incident / Close Call: 
2008-11-30
Details of Incident / Close Call: 

A crew of three was re-shingling a roof with 10 year old cedar shingles exhibiting some signs of mold. One crew member went home because he was not feeling well and thought he had a bad cold. The next day (Saturday) when coughing he coughed up some blood. He went to the hospital and was told that he had inhaled cedar dust and had the 1st stages of pneumonia.

Learnings and Suggestions: 

The crew was given utility masks for the completion of the project and told that it was mandatory that they wear them when working with cedar products.

This issue was discussed at the Joint Committee Health and Safety and Department Health and Safety meetings.
 
This information was emailed to Work Safe BC and also emailed to all 17 Secwepemc Nation bands Health and Safety Representatives.
 
Even though one may think the area is well ventilated because they are out in the open if is important to protect oneself from dust and hazardous particles.

 

For more information on this submitted alert: 

 

Jada Britton
  Skeetchestn Indian Band
  Natural Resources Department
  Health & Safety Representative
  (250)373-2493
  1-866-373-2494

 

File attachments
2008-11-30 Respiratory Distress related to mold inhalation.pdf
Careers | Contact Us | Top | Privacy Statement | Terms and Conditions |
Copyright © 2008-2017 BC Forest Safety Council. All rights reserved.
|